Thursday, October 9, 2014

planner

Are you one of those people who still need pen and paper to jot things down? Or do you rely mostly on your phone? Well, I belong to the former. I have this notebook that acts as a planner-organizer-diary-everything-list personal management tool (aside from the phone).



We've been together for 3 years now. They say that a planner/organizer is not a one size fits all thing. That's why we have a bajillion kinds of planners: Daily, weekly, monthly, plain, artsy, businesslike, colorful, you just have to find what works for you. Mine's just a simple lined notebook. No dates or calendars or fancy schmansy features. But it's what works for me.

It houses our budget:


A list of anything and everything:


Recipes:


Occasional art attack: 


Some work stuff:


Travel Planning: 


Sewing notes:


Appointments: 


Party planning: 


Kid #1's drawing book:


Computation / scratch paper: 


Address book: 


The reasons why I love it:
  1. Nice enough for me. The paper, the cover, the lines. 
  2. Just the right size at 8.5 in. x 5.5 in. And I can still slip a bunch of papers, receipts, cards in between the pages. 
  3. It is not heavy. It usually fits my purse (unless I'm using a super duper small purse) and I can lug it everywhere. 
  4. It doesn't restrict me to write a day's note/thoughts in a single page or tiny single square within a page. 
  5. I don't intend to and I don't have the need to write anything and everything for every single day so it is good that it doesn't have a date printed per page. 


But .... I am on the last 20 pages or so ... 



I know I will need a replacement soon. And I have to say that while it works for me, it has one major drawback:

It doesn't have refills. That means I have to buy another notebook again. Which is just fine. But my issue is what's gonna happen to my existing lists? My important notes? My recipes? My address book (although those were in my phone address book too).

Sure I can rip them off but where would I put them on the new notebook/planner/organizer?

I have to find something else.

Just the beginning of this year, I tried this same brand's weekly planner. But I didn't work for me. It's now Kid #1 notebook (for whatever purpose it may serve him) and he feels fancy using it as his notebook/drawing book/scratch paper. As for me, I went back to my old trusted notebook. I have tried Franklin Covey's planner eons ago and I found it too cumbersome and heavy!

So I am in the market looking for a notebook/planner that will work for me. And my requirements are:


  1. To be able to have refills. 
  2. To have sections (for addresses, notes, recipes, etc.) 
  3. Undated - so traditional planners will not work. I want to have the freedom of not having specific dates per page (and I think it's cost efficient too). As I have said, I don't have anything to write for every single day. 
  4. Leather cover/binder. 
  5. Thick enough lined paper. 
  6. Still the same size 8.5 in x 5.5 in. 
  7. And hopefully, light enough to be brought every day. 
  8. Price? 
This new notebook is going to serve the same purposes I've listed above. And it is not just for personal use, it will serve the entire family's needs as well as work's (long term -- when I return back to work). I don't think I can handle multiple organizer/planner.

I've searched a few and I already have my eye on a specific brand. It is quite expensive so I wanted to somehow make sure that this is what I really needed and wanted. As usual, I will update once I have purchased it. What about you? What is your personal management tool?


No comments: