Tuesday, February 2, 2016

the days go slow but the years go fast

Don't want to make a big fuss out of it but this year is kind of big because I'm hitting the big 4-0. Yeah, my waist line (Hope not!). Mid life. Where has all the years gone by? I can still remember when I was about to turn 18 and planning for my debut party. Oh well...

So to celebrate me being 4 decades old, I plan to take control of my health, specifically, my weight. I have been into this 4-week program since January 11 and now on my last week. Of course, it is hard. First week is the hardest. But I have seen improvements and so far I am liking it. Still not sure if I would continue until I've reached my target weight but we'll see. I am just so happy being able to wear non-maternity clothes a year after giving birth.

You can read a whole bunch of information and tips and what have you about dieting, exercising and losing weight. But here's what works for me:

1. I like that I am doing it with a buddy (or buddies). I have 2 co-workers who were also trying to lose some weight (they did it a week ahead of me, they're done now!). Sharing this journey with them makes me feel accountable and made me really push for it. Also, it makes it easier when there's 3 of us who are not eating desserts and not snacking come mid-afternoon slack!

2. I have my fitness pal app in my phone. I know some people find it so cumbersome to log your food intake but it really made me careful in choosing what I eat. It made me re-think of that 3rd slice of pizza!

3. Meal Prep works. It takes time, really. I mean planning for your meal for the whole week and then preparing your whole week's meal, there goes my weekend. I guess this is where most people fail. It is just so easy to grab what is available (which often than not, is not a healthy choice) than to choose and prepare what really is good and healthy.

Honestly, I don't think I would continue the Meal prep after this final week of the program. What icks me is that I have to prepare food for myself that is different from what the rest of the people in my household are eating. So I am planning to do healthy family menu that all of us can eat. And since I am more aware now of what is healthy and yummy, I will try to incorporate those healthy snacks and dishes into our daily menu. Try. I will try, okay? The problem with this kind of set up is all the cooking will be left on to me!

I will try to be back on yoga too. That is the only form of activity that I did prior to having Kid #2. And after giving birth, I only did one session of hot yoga. I will try to do it again on a weekly basis and maybe, hopefully, do it more than once a week. My diet buddy and car pool buddy is asking me to join her in the gym, to just run or do something. I don't know. I am not really an exercise kind of person. I'll just do yoga and see if I wanted to do more.





No comments: