Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Non-toxic is toxic

I have been buying stuff for the new baby, and boy, was I in a blur! There are lots of things to consider!!! I didn’t know that when I had my first son (all I know then was BPA and parabens).

I was online shopping and then I saw this ‘organic’ stuff. So I started reading about it.  The more I read about it, the more new words I get to encounter: phthalates, harmful polyester, chemicals in flame retardants, VOC, carcinogen, lead, nickel, chlorine – every and any chemical that might be harmful to a newborn (or humans, that is). In short there are lots of toxic chems that can be found on baby stuff!!!

And if you know me, I am so gullible. If I could only put my first born inside a bubble (BPA Free of course) to protect him, I would. Right then and there I decided to just buy stuff that is only pure and organic and non-toxic. But…… they are expensive.

Trying to find safe and reasonably priced baby products is no easy feat. Why are they making these things so expensive??!!! One could easily shell out $5000 buying non-toxic necessities for a new born, JUST the necessities. This is stressing me out, making me toxic.

Seriously, I admire those families who are really into this. There are a lot of websites and blogs that you can find and read about this stuff. I am no expert here. Just google it and you can spend your entire day reading about it. 

Ideally, in my perfect world, I really wanted to go this way, but in reality, I know that I can’t. We can’t. Even if I buy all those non-toxic stuff for our new baby, it doesn’t end here. I can buy a crib and a mattress for him that is so, so, so very safe. But our bed isn’t. The couch isn’t. Our clothes are not. What about the entire house? Flooring? Paint? It doesn’t start and and end with just the baby things. It has to be all of us, our way of living, our lifestyle.

I will just have to keep on telling myself that, alright, alright, I will exert an effort to buy only good and safe products but I don’t have to stress myself out if I can’t. I just have to be calm and believe that everything is going to be okay the way it was with the previous generations. I mean they don’t know a thing about this before, right? 


No comments: