Thursday, September 25, 2014

baby stuff: crib

If I'm having the baby come spring/summer, we would probably opt with co-sleeping -- the baby would sleep in our room, on our bed, close to me, the way I think babies should be (I know not everybody will agree with me on this). That's how we were with Kid #1. But since, I am having the baby this fall, I just can't imagine having lots of covers and blankets on the bed come winter with a little baby in the middle of it. So not safe. We opted to have the baby his own sleeping area, but still in our room.

Kid #1 will have to be moving out of our room, into his own room. That's another project I have to tackle before giving birth and deserves a separate post.

How important is the crib? A baby will spend most his time in the crib sleeping and inhaling the air surrounding it. So we have to make sure that we get the right and bestest crib, right? Right. 

Anyway, there are a lot of options out there for cribs and mattresses. For starters, we had this with Kid #1: 


And all along I thought this is considered a crib. Apparently, it is not. This is a play pen and is not advisable to be slept on (I guess napping is okay). A crib is something like this: 



Nice. But once I actually checked up on the price points, reality sets in. I can't spend that much money on a crib. And J wouldn't let me. 

We checked out other options. Have considered buying second hand (it's pretty much common here) but I dreaded the fact of having my baby sleep on a crib with bed bugs/mites or "history". Scratch. 

As usual, we have to consider safety, the mechanical safety of 2nd hand cribs  and even brand new ones. There are cribs that have been recalled and there are cribs that are not being recommended anymore, Especially those with drop sides and big gaps on the slats, odd measurement of the posts, etc. Add to that the composition and construction of the crib. It is said that solid wood crib with non-toxic finish using non-toxic adhesives are the safest ones. One has to watch out for particle boards, plywood, fiber woods because these types of cribs uses adhesives to glue the wood together and those adhesives might have formaldehyde and chemicals that are carcinogens and would be harmful to the still developing baby. There are the exposed hardware that are choking hazards. And the paint on the crib with VOC and lead that your baby would be chewing on later on. 

OMG. 

My head is spinning. Whew. As I have said I am no expert here and I just wanted to give our kids the safest products that I can afford. If you want to know more and read about baby products to avoid, you can go here

And some guidelines on how to buy a non-toxic crib, just click here.  

Or to find a truly non-toxic crib.  

As for us, here's what we got:

Mercer 3-in-1 Convertible Crib (by Babyletto)


Description from the manufacturer:

This crib features an extra drawer to keep baby's essentials close at hand (ours doesn't have this). All hardware is safely hidden. The Mercer Convertible Crib has four adjustable mattress positions (important for me since I am not tall, I really would want ease when getting the baby in and from the crib). And grows with your baby, converting to a toddler bed (rail included) or daybed. 

Made of solid, sustainable New Zealand Pine Wood
Converts to daybed and toddler bed with included toddler bed conversion kit
Four adjustable mattress levels 
Lead and phthalate safe with non-toxic finish
JPMA Certified, meets ASTM International and US CPSC safety standards
Made in Taiwan

We have the white/espresso two-tone. It's brand new but on floor display and without the bottom drawer that's why we got it on a discounted price from this store here in Winnipeg. I really wanted the Hudson in grey but it is expensive. 

So I think, this is a good compromise, eh? 

Come to think of it, maybe it is much better to have the baby sleep on papag (bed made of bamboo) with banig (a handwoven mat usually used in East Asia and Philippines for sleeping and sitting, usually made of palm and sea grass leaves -- wikipedia)  and layers of cotton blankets.


No comments: